Monday, November 22, 2010

The Perfect Drink

Hello hello to all, from your favourite fuzzy foodie.
The Lady has already done a very nice job of describing to you what our activities last night were. It was an altogether pleasant evening. I'm a little dumb and started a fight, but it happens. The food, entertainment, and walk in the cool night air really made my week after a long time without a break from work.

Our time at Cafe 28 had ups and downs for me. It was very loud for such a dimly lit place. It created a weird disparity from what had an atmosphere of a quiet private dinner to a more lively room. I was blown away by the sweetness of Lady's Havana Punch. It really had NO alcohol bite, which was difficult to believe when you consider that it apparrently is nearly ALL alcohol. My Pisco Sour was A-MAZING. Pisco is a wonderful Spanish colony derivative of Oroju, a clear grape liquor. My introduction to Pisco came from a Chilean friend of the family, and I have enjoyed experimenting with it since. My sour included egg whites, lime, and powdered sugar. While the look of the drink was very cloudy, the way the egg whites and sugar meld create a mystic sort of crystal ball appearance.
I ordered the special of the evening, a Cordero style lamb chop dish with roasted red potatoes and steamed tomato. While the lamb was served IMPECCABLY well cooked (a perfect medium rare), there just wasnt much of it. There was likely about 3-5 ounces of meet, which was very disappointing. I was tempted to gnaw on the bones just to get more of the smokey spice flavours, but since we were in public, I refrained.
My potatoes were very moist, and well cooked without getting too starchy. My tomatoes were very very soggy though. Too overdone.
All in all, though I enjoyed the flavour profiles that the chefs at Cafe 28 created, it was a little too amateur with the side dishes, and the proteins needed more substance.
I did have a WONDERFUL Scotch Manhattan after my lamb though. It was smooth, and bright, and had just the perfect bite at the back of the tongue. The bartenders at Cafe 28 really know what they're doing.
Tha Manhattan from Cafe 28 

For dessert, we stopped in at a dark jazz bar called Katerina's. It was dark, lit by candles, a blue neon sign, and a single spotlight. With a $10 cover, I expected a great performance. Instead I got a half-assed alto accompanied by a trio that really would be better off exploring instrumental jazz. I ordered another Scotch Manhattan (have you noticed a trend?) which was lackluster at best. The bitters were a little too present, and the vermouth, while sweet, was in far too low a ratio to the scotch. I think the bartender didn't know how to make a Manhattan with Scotch instead of the more traditional Whiskey.
Our pear custard was very warm and spicey. It tasted like autumn, and it was comforting in the dark atmosphere of the club.
So, two drinks (one for the Lady) and a single dessert...plus $10 covers each. $50. I kid you not. Screw that. I will not be going back to Katerina's anytime soon, if at all. Not worth the cost.

I made a meal in honor of the Next Iron Chef finale, and while I did not use the spinach that we had in lieu of lettuce, I think the meal was decent tribute. My main course was lacking, but my side dishes were spot on. I won't describe them tonight (that's another post), but I will leave you with this: Have you ever cooked corn with dried mustard powder and sal du gaul?

No comments:

Post a Comment